Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

September 6, 2009

Romance Her

Last night I was having one of those nights when sleep eludes me and I forget that worrying gets me NO WHERE.

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" Matthew 6:27

I was laying there, playing out a number of scenarios in my head... mulling over everything important and unimportant:

Who will watch Danilo when I go back to work? - in a week!
What time do I need to get up in order to make it to work by 8 a.m.?
What is the housing market going to do in three years?
I should be sleeping right now. What am I going to do when I'm so tired tomorrow?
Did the dishes get put away?
Is dinner still out on the table going bad?
Do I need to wash diapers tomorrow?

Mostly I was worrying about the future.

Someone once said that when we fret over the future, we are always picturing a scenario where we have to figure everything out without God. Have you ever found yourself worrying about a future scenario with God in the picture? I haven't. Otherwise, I wouldn't be worrying.

So that's what I was doing. Worrying. And finally - after about two hours of laying there - I prayed with desperation, for God's help.

His response was to romance me.

Has God ever romanced you? If not, ask Him to sometime. (Or ask Him to point out to you a time when He has and you haven't noticed.) You'll be amazed.

Immediately, He whispered, "I know my plans for you, Renee." (Jeremiah 29:11 - my favorite verse of all time.) "I know what I'm doing. And although it seems chaos is ahead, my plans for you hold a hope and a future. One that's better than you can imagine."

The hug seemed somewhat tangible.

Then I rolled over and woke up my husband. "I can't sleep. I'm so worried." And I started to cry softly into his shoulder.

God wasn't done romancing me. He continued through the words of my husband - that is after the poor guy pulled himself out of sleepy delirium.

Alejandro listened and held me. He was quiet and I thought maybe he didn't know what to say. Then suddenly, "Lord, please wrap your arms around Renee right now. Hold her and comfort her. I pray for your incredible peace, and that she could just set her mind at ease. Remind her that you know the plan you have for us, and that we don't have to worry, because you are in control and you are taking care of us. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen."

You know how you know God is speaking to you when you hear something twice?
I. LOVE. THAT.

After that we cuddled some more, and then, um... I got romanced some more.
(Hey, I'm married, people! Sorry, T.M.I.)
(Did I really just write that on the internet?)

And after that, I drifted off into peaceful sleep.

Well, then God romanced me (through my husband) even more!

Because, check THIS out. He ever-so-sweetly woke me up and plopped breakfast-in-bed on my lap! Yummm.... crepes!
And coffee! (I can't believe I'm posting this picture on the internet.)
This part is the very best.
I almost cried.

What an incredible thing to be loved so deeply and appreciated so much by my Lord and my husband. I may be a little sleepy today. But I feel like a million bucks.

So, to all the gentlemen out there who have a wife who has a young baby and is worried... Or all of you who just have a wife... I just have one thing to say:

Romance her.