Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

December 3, 2009

Thank You God for Poop and Weeds

It's been a while since I've come back to this (intended to be) weekly devotional post based on the parable of the Sower in Mark, chapter 4. Lots has happened... Lots, which I am getting around to blogging about!

But back to the point.

About a year or two ago I was weeding in my backyard when God spoke to me about this parable and showed me how sin gets in our lives and in our way of our relationship with our heavenly Father, just the way weeds get in the way of green grass growing.

But through the experience of cleaning up the junk in my life - it's definitely an ongoing process and always will be - I have learned to give thanks to God for walking me through that junk and teaching me great lessons through it. There is lots of wisdom that I now have that I wouldn't, if it weren't for having walked through that junk.

This is part 9 of 11... If you'd like to read the first eight, they are here. I hope it speaks to you the way God has been speaking to me through this journey.


Thank You God for Poop and Weeds
Mark 4:3-20

"Listen. What do you make of this? A farmer planted seed... Some fell in the weeds; as it came up, it was strangled among the weeds and nothing came of it. Some fell on good earth and came up with a flourish, producing a harvest exceeding his wildest dreams.

"Are you listening to this? Really listening?
‘…Whose eyes are open but don't see a thing,

Whose ears are open but don't understand a word,
Who avoid making an about-face and getting forgiven.’”
"He continued, "Do you see how this story works? All my stories work this way. The farmer plants the Word… The seed cast in the weeds represents the ones who hear the kingdom news but are overwhelmed with worries about all the things they have to do and all the things they want to get. The stress strangles what they heard, and nothing comes of it. But the seed planted in the good earth represents those who hear the Word, embrace it,

…and produce a harvest beyond their wildest dreams."
The Message Bible
Some verses omitted


Part IX: Skilled Hands
(Written last year)



You can tell I’ve used these gloves a lot. The fingers are practically gone! That’s because I have been pulling weeds for a while now. When I first got these gloves, they were stiff and I was slow. I pricked my fingers a lot and it was often frustrating. But then as time went on, I learned some tricks and got better at how to get the weeds out faster and easier. I became stronger and I was more able to recognize some of the smaller weeds sooner.

The first time we weed something out that is hindering our relationship with the Lord, it can be excruciating. It seems to take forever. We hurt a lot. Passing through the refining fire for the first time is often agonizing. But the second time, we have some experience and it’s not quite so difficult. The more mature we are in our faith, the better we become at recognizing even the smaller “weeds” that need to be rooted out. Each one of us gains wisdom and as we come to know the feel of the Father’s loving hands, the refining fire seems less scary and less agonizing. There is a sense of purpose, and the knowledge of the reason for the process makes us eager to get to the other side.

Take comfort in the truth that God is still working on you. If you are new to the faith, or just have a lot to deal with, don’t be discouraged. God has a perfect plan and timing just for you.

________________________

If you are weeding through something for the first time, I encourage you to stick it out. Let God finish the work he started. It is worth it.

If you are weeding through something for the first time after a long time of letting the weeds grow tall, remember God's faithfulness.

If you are a pro at weeding... do not be discouraged. We all have lots to weed out. Be encouraged that you are not alone. I too, am weeding, on a weekly daily hourly by the minute basis.

Philippians 1:6 ...[be] confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus...