Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

December 3, 2010

In Which I Ramble About My Bathroom

Everyone needs a sanctuary.  Mind just happens to double as my bathroom. 

I was thinking today about the fact that my bathroom is the place where I feel the safest.  It's where the Enemy least threatens me.  It's where I feel the most relaxed - well, aside from my bed, that is.  It's where I have the most confidence and feel the most beautiful.  It's where I feel closest to God. 

Granted, all of those are feelings, and I believe strongly in not putting too much stock in those.  But even so, they are important and are reflective of my heart-attitude. 

But back to the point.  I think my bathroom is my sanctuary my sanctuary is my bathroom because I have made it so.  If you were to walk into my bathroom, you would see a mess.  Then you would see the words, pieces of truth, and scripture that I cling to and focus on daily.  If you stood in my shower, you would see this. 


My shower curtain is clear (that was intentionally for this purpose) and all of those notes are taped to the outside facing in.  When I shower, I preach to myself.  I can preach a mean sermon in my shower.  I preach to myself and I pray and I talk to God and He talks to me. 

What goes in is what comes out.  Out of the heart, the mouth speaks.  And vice versa (Out of the mouth, the heart speaks).  When I speak truth out loud in the Spirit of the Lord, my mind believes it and my heart strings are attached to it and it stays with me through the day, when I can then pour it out to others.  That's also why I do NOT say things like, "I'm so dumb."  I would never say that to my son and my Heavenly Father would not say that to me and so I won't either.  And I definitely don't want to be pouring that out to others.

After I speak truth out loud in the shower, I listen to truth as I get dressed (I listen to a daily devotional).  I have more notes and words of encouragement to myself on my mirror and as I prepare my body for the day, I prepare my heart too.  This is because I have learned that I'm just not very strong and if I don't pray myself somethin' mighty, well, I might as well be planning to fall flat on my face. 

But back to what I was saying in the beginning...  I think the reason I feel safe, closest to God, confident and beautiful in the bathroom, is because that room has been filled with Truth to the hilt and there isn't any room for the Enemy's lies. 

I'm sort of getting the itch to do that to someone else's room.  A little someone else with miniature clothing and a child-proof room.  (I'll be sure to fill you in when that little inspiration comes to fruition.) 

So, where's your sanctuary?  Do you have one?  Can you make one?  I started with one or two notes and it went from there.  This post is a lot of random thoughts sort of all shoved together in a poorly organized fashion, but I think I'm going to leave it that way.  It's just sort of how I'm feeling tonight.  God is working a lot on my heart in these days, and so I am feeling broken and fragile and especially thankful for a sanctuary in which I can rest in His gracious love.  That is all.

Goodnight,