Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

September 22, 2010

Round 3

Two points for Mom. One point for Danny.

Well, actually, it was a win-win for both of us. Danny couldn't wait for his nap today.  He was pretty cranky by lunch time and threw a hum-dinger of a temper tantrum.  Correction, redirection and good food helped through, and we got through it.  When playing after lunch proved to just be a power struggle and one tired little kiddo, I carried him upstairs for naptime.  By the time I got him down and tucked in with his blanky up against his face (yesterday he held onto the knit blanket my mom made like it was his best friend) he was more than ready to drift into dream-land. 

And now... sweet silence!

I thought I'd take some time to share how I do transition days here... since I get asked a lot by my Babywise friends.  Not that I'm any sort of expert.  I am, after all, the mommy of only one.  Actually, Kingdom Mama should probably be writing this post, since she is really the one who taught me how.  She and I both transition from one nap/wake/eat schedule to another in a single day.  I think cold-turkey is much easier than a drawn out week-long process.  And usually, it only takes a day or two for Danny to adjust.  Here are a couple other things I do that I've found helpful:

I try to make "transition day" (that is the day that we move him to a new schedule) on a day when I don't have much else important planned.  I don't schedule appointments or have friends over, because if things go awry, like they did yesterday, it pretty much sabotages those things.  I also prepare myself for a day when I get little work done. 

Secondly, I try to get us out of the house for part or most of that day.  Being out and about provides just enough distraction and adrenaline for my little tyke to help him forget that he's tired and past his naptime.  On the other hand, I avoid car rides that are longer than ten minutes, otherwise he'll end up sleeping in the car and I want him to sleep in his bed.  So we do things like walk to the park, play in the front yard, take baths, play in water outside (if it's warm) or make a short grocery shopping trip. 

It helps when I have hearty deliciousmeals planned for him that day.  The last thing I need is additional fatigue because he didn't eat the meal that he didn't care for. 

When nap-time does come, if he bucks it and cries or yells, I employ the ten-minute rule.  He goes down and if he cries, I let him for ten minutes.  NO less.  It's REALLY HARD sometimes.  Like yesterday.  And the younger he was, the harder it was.  After ten to fifteen minutes (use your mommy-judgment) I go in, pick him up, wipe off his tear-streaked face, change his diaper (if only for the routine of it), shush him, hug him, kiss him, offer him a little drink (if his throat is sore from hollering) and put him back down.  If after three or four times he still hasn't settled in, I give him and rock him to sleep or let him get up, depending on what time it is and what the schedule calls for.  I don't win every time, of course.  But persistence usually pays off in the long run.  The key is to stick to it.  Danny needs to know that nap time is nap time whether he thinks he needs it or not.  The reason I don't push it longer than 3 or 4 ten-minute tries is because usually Danny is really worked up by then and it's no longer productive to try again. 

Kingdom Mama also suggested praise music.  In those moments when he's hollering and it's all you can do it pull your hair out, praise music always soothes me!  Yesterday I forgot the praise music, but called  her instead.  :)  She was so gracious as I vented on the phone about to lose my mind! 

Lastly, I remind myself that in the long run, it will pay off.  Danny will be a happy well-adjusted kid with healthy sleep-patterns.  He and I will both know what to expect each day.  Crying never killed anyone and this is one of the tougher parts of parenting (at least at this age). 

So there you have it.  That's how I do transition days