Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

July 6, 2010

Weekend Camping Part 1


Last week on Monday we were itchin' to get outta town for the long weekend.  On Tuesday we started calling people.  On Wednesday we called up Jon and Charmian.  And on Thursday we let them know we'd be joining them on their trip to Wyoming.  Friday night we set up our tent next to theirs. 

Can I just tell you how much I LOVE the fact that I am married to a man who likes adventure as much as I do and isn't afraid to live our lives as a young family with a now toddler the same way? 

I LOVE it. 

Anyway, any adventure involving Charmian and I is bound to be exactly that.  An adventure!  We met as fresh-women in college when I invited her to join my mom and I on a road trip to the Grand Canyon, despite the fact that we didn't know eachother.  She had no place to go for Spring Break and I liked her spunk.  So she joined us and a friendship was born.  I outta' start a blog series called the mis-adventures of Charmian and Renee, but given my great lack of propensity to follow through on series on this blog... well, I'm not going to kid myself.  Anyway, this trip proved to be no less of an adventure for our little group. 

Here we are on day 1.  Jon and Charmian (with her mommy bump) on the right and Alejandro on the left.  We put Danny on my back and set off to find the perfect place for Alejandro's and my first rock-climbing experience ever. 

Photobucket

Photobucket

The day was beautiful and Danny was thrilled. 

Photobucket

We found our perch and Alejandro was volunteered to go first.  I really am SO proud of him, because before we arrived, he was really not so thrilled about the idea of scaling a rock.  But he did it anyway and did fabulously, old tennis shoes and all!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Charmian coached while Jon belayed from the top.  They did a GREAT job!  Danny and I watched and took pictures.  I was going to go second, but those beautiful white fluffy clouds turned ugly and dark and it got windy, so we decided to call it a day.  I would have to wait until the next day.  To be honest, I was glad to have a day to observe and hike.  I was thoroughly proud of myself for scrambling rocks with a one-year old on my back and for managing his lunch and diaper changes  up there. 

I can't even believe that last year at this time I was 55 lbs heavier (just before he was born) and couldn't walk for more than 20 minutes at a time without carrying anything!  I'm getting side-tracked, but after struggling so much physically for the first time in my life, being able to be active now is something I enjoy SO much. 

And this weekend... active we were indeed!

Photobucket

Danny quickly went from this...

Photobucket

...to this, and snoozed on my back as we hiked back to the car...

Photobucket

...to head "home" to our tents for steak dinner, s'mores, and beer. 

Yes, it was as delicious as it sounds! 

Come back soon for more pictures of Day 2!

____________________Español____________________

Acampando este Fin de Semana - Parte I


La semana pasada el lunes, teníamos ganas de irnos de Colorado Springs para la vacación del Día de Independiencia.  El martes empezamos a llamar a nuestros amigos.  El miércoles llamamos a Jon y Charmian.  El jueves les dijimos que ibamos a viajar con ellos.  El viernes en la noche, armamos nuestra tienda de acampar a la par de la tienda de ellos. 

Me fascina que Alejandro y yo vivimos de tal manera en que no nos da miedo alguna aventura y que no hemos dejado de vivir así ya que está con nosotros nuestro hijo Danilo. 

¡Me encanta!

De todo modo, cualquier actividad con Charmian y yo siempre termina con aventura.  Nos conocimos en el primer año de la uniersidad cuando yo le invité a ir con mi madre y yo a una viaje al Gran Cañon.  Ella no tenía planes para vacaciones de Semana Santa y ella me agradaba mucho.  Por medio de ese viaje nos hicimos amigas y hemos seguido así desde el día. 

Aquí estamos el sábado en la mañana.  Jon y Charmian (quien está embarazada) al lado derecho y Alejandro al lado izquierdo.  Metimos a Danilo en el baby-carrier conmigo y nos fuimos buscando el lugar perfecto para la primera vez en que Ale y yo escalamos rocas. 

Photobucket

Photobucket

El día era preciosos y Danilo estuvo demasiado contento. 

Photobucket

Encontramos el lugar para escalar y Alejandro fue de primero después de que Jon preparó el camino.  Estoy tán orgullosa de él porque de verdad no quiso escalar antes de que llegamos.  Sin embargo, lo hiz... ¡y era tremendo!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Charmian fue la guía verbal para Alejandro y Jon le sostuvo con la cuerda.  ¡Que bien hicieron!  Danilo y yo miramos desde abajo.  Yo iba después de Ale, pero esas nueves blancas y bonitas se hicieron oscuaras y amenazante y decidimos regresar a la tienda de acampar. 

Photobucket

Danilo fue muy contento, pero pronto...
Photobucket

...le dió cansansio y él durmió en el baby-carrier durante el camino de regreso.

Photobucket

Esa noche disfrutamos de bistek, s'mores y cerveza. 

¡Sí! ¡Era tan rico como suena! 

Regreso pronto con fotos del segundo día.