Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

July 17, 2010

A Bump In Our Road

Thursday was a pretty normal day until after breakfast.  As I lugged Danny upstairs to change his diaper, the phone rang.  It was Alejandro.  I picked it up and said "hi" in my normal groggy somewhat cranky voice.  I don't really wake up until around 9 a.m.  As soon as Alejandro said hello back to me, I knew something was wrong.  And I knew what it was.  It had played out in the back of my mind all morning, as if I knew it was coming.  Ale knew it was coming too. 

"Paul had to let me go," he said. 

I went numb.  The layoff was no surprise, but it still hit like a ton of bricks and we're still reeling a little bit.  I listened and tried not to diminish what he might be going through while at the same time I tried to process it.  In a voice choked with emotion, he told me he had to sign some papers, clean out his work van and he'd be home in a bit. 

The shock took all day to wear off and I'll spare you the dramatic retelling of it.  We both had our fall-apart moments* but we both pulled it together by about noon.  I was really impressed by how much Alejandro seemed at peace with the whole thing. 

*A fall-apart moment is what I call it when I allow myself to bawl my eyes out over something for a time before pulling it together, washing my face, putting the moment behind me and moving forward with a positive response. It helps me get my emotion out without ending up in an all-day pity party that paralyzes me.

There is sadness at having to leave his job of 5 years.  There is gladness and thankfulness for 5 years in which he learned a lot and enjoyed the leadership of a Godly, family-oriented boss who I will always appreciate.  I really hope Paul (Ale's boss) realizes how thankful I am for all he has done for us.  Paul is the kind of guy who would buy the guys a burger if they had to work extra late and then give me a personal call on my cell phone to thank me and apologize for not having my husband home for dinner.  "I know it's tough to do the evening routine with a little one without him," Paul would say.  He's the kind of guy who looked out for his employees like family and the kind of guy who would hold onto an employee as long as he could before having to do something as drastic as a lay-off.  We are blessed to have been a part of Schmallen and Associates and I pray his business flourishes in the coming months and years. 

So anyway, we've spent the last two days figuring out what needs to be done, and what takes priority.  We have some savings, and we are overwhelmed with the grace God has for us.  We know He holds us in the palm of His hand and we have never lacked for anything.  We know that this door closing means a new chapter and another door open.  We're just not sure what that is right now.  It was really amazing to feel the gentle assurance from our Heavenly Father, as phone calls poured in on Thursday.  I had women book facial appointments with me.  Alejandro got a call asking if he could make a few more crosses for someone. 

(Alejandro carved and stained this beautiful wooden cross. It is 6.25 inches tall,
4.5 inches wide and has a nail-hole in the back to easily hang in your home.)

We got email after email from a former co-worker of his with leads of possible job openings.  It was really amazing. 

We are so blessed by so many!

Lots of you in the past have said to us emphatically, "If you ever need help, make sure and let me know."  Well, now we need help!  Ha ha!  Please pray for us.  Please pray that God would remind us daily that we are taken care of and that a spirit of fear would have no place in this household.  Please pray for clear direction and for favor for Alejandro as he applies for many positions.  For those of you who want to pray very specifically, I am asking the Lord for a position for him with a better salary, with benefits, and doing something that he really finds enjoyment and fulfillment in and in which he can use his God-given talents.  Am I asking for it all?  To the God who holds the entire world in the palm of His hand and who gives good gifts to His children, yes I am asking for it all. 

As far as the best practical help to us right now... 

1.  ...if you have any knowledge of a job opening in Colorado Springs, please email me and let me know.

2.  ...last week before he was laid off, Alejandro started a handy-man business on the side.  Here is his business card.   
Alejandro is really skilled and I really do say that he can fix anything!  Ha ha!  If you need something done in your home, business, church or organization or if you know someone who does, call Alejandro and see if it's something he can do and what the price would be.  His goal is to do it for cheaper than you could hire anyone else to do it for and get the job done better. 

3. ...if you need to stock up on facial cleanser, moisturizer, mascara, makeup remover, eye cream, (you get the idea) please consider ordering on my Mary Kay website.

4.  ...if you are in the Colorado Springs area, hosting a Mary Kay facial party is another way for you to help us.  If you have three other women join you, you get great hostess benefits.  Email me and I can tell you more about it.   

Thank you all for the blessing you are to us.  I know I said it already, but we are truly surrounded by love and support and we are so thankful.  Have a really great weekend! 

Love,

(and Alejandro)