Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

October 7, 2009

Poop and Weeds Wednesday

Good gracious, this week has flown by. It's already time for Poop and Weeds Wednesday. Here you go...
______________________________________________

Thank You God for Poop and Weeds
Mark 4:3-20
"Listen. What do you make of this? A farmer planted seed... Some fell in the weeds; as it came up, it was strangled among the weeds and nothing came of it. Some fell on good earth and came up with a flourish, producing a harvest exceeding his wildest dreams.

"Are you listening to this? Really listening?
‘…Whose eyes are open but don't see a thing,

Whose ears are open but don't understand a word,
Who avoid making an about-face and getting forgiven.’”

"He continued, "Do you see how this story works? All my stories work this way. The farmer plants the Word… The seed cast in the weeds represents the ones who hear the kingdom news but are overwhelmed with worries about all the things they have to do and all the things they want to get. The stress strangles what they heard, and nothing comes of it. But the seed planted in the good earth represents those who hear the Word, embrace it,

…and produce a harvest beyond their wildest dreams."
The Message Bible
Some verses omitted

Part V: Facing Problems when it’s Easier to Just Enjoy the Scenery
(Written last year)

Sometimes my husband and I will tread lightly around a touchy subject for the sake of not ruining a good night. There are times when that is appropriate… and other times when it compounds the issue. I have also been known to enjoy an entertaining sermon, laugh at the jokes, sing along with the music, and smile inwardly with a “no thank you” at the Lord’s quiet leading to face an issue He wants to speak to me about. There has never been a time I have not regretted that. And there have been many times when I have been glad I faced the issue when I didn’t feel like it and was obedient to God’s word and leading. I thought of this today, when I was about to pull up one weed that was embedded in and surrounded by lush green grass. I thought, “Oh, what a shame… I’m going to have to pull up some of that grass in order to get this weed out.”

I will never forget one particular Sunday evening at church. I had gone in jeans and a warm sweater on a cool fall evening. I was thoroughly enjoying the sermon, the coffee that was served with the hazelnut creamer, the music, and the atmosphere. At the end of the sermon about which I have no recollection – that tells you how intently I was listening – the pastor had an altar call for people to come who needed prayer.

I stayed seated.

The Lord said clearly to me, “Renee, I want you to go up there.” I politely responded inwardly to Him, “That’s ok, God. I’m fine. I’ll stay here.”

Then He pressed harder.

“Renee, I want you to go up and pray with someone.” Again, I responded, annoyed, with “No, really God. I’ll just stay right here.”

This time, God was not messing around.

He said, “Renee, get up and go pray now.” And not a second later, the pastor said gently to the crowd, “There are some of you who are holding back, who need to come up, so I’m going to wait a little bit longer until you all come up here. It’s ok. We can hold the service just a bit longer.” That got my attention! The pastor’s words were kind and welcoming, but for me it was as though God was the third grade teacher, staring down the talkative and obstinate youngster, with crossed arms and tight words saying, “We. Will. Wait!”

With somewhat of a huff, I laid my jacket down and strolled up to the front. I walked up to a kind, blonde woman, who I later learned, was named Michelle. Michelle looked at me expectantly.

I said bluntly to her, “I don’t know why I’m here.”

She looked rather puzzled completely dumbfounded at me and said, “You don’t?”

“No,” I said, “I just felt God telling me to come up and pray.” At that point, tears came to my eyes, and I couldn’t hold back.

“Mmmm… ok. Well, then let’s pray.” Michelle quietly started praying, and soon began to pray in tongues for a moment, allowing the Spirit to guide her prayer.

That moment, God said to me, “It’s your marriage,” and equally as quickly, I popped my head up (with a hilarious deer-in-the-headlights look) and said to Michelle, “It’s my marriage.”

“Ok!” she said, and continued, now with a direction to take, and we prayed over my husband’s and my marriage… which at the time was not in any dire need of help, but God knew the financial struggle we would face just a few months later.

It was an odd conversation, and an odder prayer, but several things came out of it. First, my marriage was covered in prayer, which every marriage always needs.

Second, Michelle followed God's leading and prayed in tongues despite the fact that she knew nothing about whether I was open to that kind of thing. God was opening my mind to how the Holy Spirit can work. He was leading me to set aside the box I’d put Him in. (Written today...) In the year that followed, I walked down the most incredible spiritual journey in which my faith was renewed with more fire and passion than ever before or since. The Holy Spirit Rocked. My. World. I'm seriously going to have to write about it sometime.

Third, I learned that Michelle was going to be leaving shortly to move to Brazil, where she would learn Portuguese and teach English. That is significant, because just a few years before, I had moved to Costa Rica, learned Spanish, and taught English to young children. Michelle and I got together for coffee and became very good friends. I gave her some resources and shared my experiences in Costa Rica. She opened her heart to me about how God showed her the power we have to walk in His ways when we are inhabited by His Spirit.

As I look back, I think, what would have happened had I stayed in my seat and not been willing to be obedient to God’s lead? What would I have missed, by wanting to “enjoy the scenery” and avoid the hard work of seeking Him?



(Written today...) Pretty or not, this dandelion is most definitely a weed. It spreads and infests and chokes out the grass that tries to grow around it. Satan works in our lives the same way. Some weeds take longer to take over than others, but in the end, they're all ugly. They all kill the fullness of life that God intends us to have. Seek His ways. Make no compromises. Choose God's way.

It is so very. much. more. FUN.

3 comments:

A said...

I read your blog in Google Reader. It's right beside my "quote of the day" box. Here were the quotes today:

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." -Douglas Adams

"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to." -Dorothy Parker

I thought those were appropriate for your post today!

Renee said...

Thanks, A for reading and for commenting! :) Good quotes! I particularly like Douglas Adams' quote.

Michele said...

Isn't God absolutely amazing?!?! I love it when He "blows our minds" with how great He is! I too will always remember that night. It was such a faith strengthener for me too. Thank you for your friendship and for listening to God. :)