Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

August 24, 2009

Danilo's First Camping Trip! / Acampando con Danilo

What kind of crazy parents take their 7-week-old camping!? (Apparently we do.) And what kind of crazy woman goes camping at 7 weeks post-partum?! (Oh, that would be me.)

The best part of this trip is that we decided to go camping approximately one hour before leaving to go! Yes! I have not lost my spontaneity! - therefore proving to myself that I would NOT become one of those parents that quits doing anything at all and sits at home a slave to the rigid schedule of their child. Yay!

Ok, so we were going to go for a bbq picnic up in the mountains for the afternoon. Then Alejandro pulls me close and says, "wanna' just pack the tent and stay the night?" half expecting me to say no.

"Um... sure, why not?" I said, completely suprising him.

So I packed bags for Danny and I. Look, I did SO much better than the last trip! Of course, this time it was only one night. But still.

Alejandro packed the car. And half of the things that I forgot. Like my pillow. And a bed. And the toothpaste and toothbrush. And the soap. You know. The unimportant stuff. (Jeez, I'm glad he remembered all that stuff or I'd have been miserable.)
  And soon we were off.

We got there with just enough time to set up the tent before cooking dinner. Then we settled down for the night. Toby was cozy.


Danny was cozy.



Alejandro and I froze.


But on to the fun part of the trip. Look at my little Michelin man all bundled up to hang out while we ate breakfast and enjoyed coffee...
  Seriously, there is nothing better than Costa Rican coffee by the camp fire in the crisp morning air. Ok, there are a few things that are better... Like my warm bed, pasta, a glass of wine, and an evening writing and reading blogs... But I digress.

We found the most fabulous camping spot! Actually we found it while off-roading with some friends of ours last year. It's off the beaten path, right next to a babbling brook, with plenty of shade and sunlight so you can choose if you want cool air or warm. No, I won't tell you where it is. It's mine. It's mine! Ahem. Sorry. Anyway, this is what it looks like.

Here's the view facing the opposite direction.

Toby made a bee-line for the stream. He was a blast to watch. He ferociously protected us from the squirrels wild animals.

Danny and I cuddled a lot. :)


Alejandro did manly stuff. Like break dead tree stumps for the fire. Look at the method! I'm married to MacGyver.

And build fires.



And teach Toby tricks. And feed Toby snacks.



And hang out with Danilo. What didn't he do? :)



And driving home, we saw this:


Yes, we are in the year 2009. You're not dreaming. (Although I thought I was.) Seriously, we see the best stuff on the road. Remember what we saw last weekend?

So that's what we did this weekend. What did you do?

_______________________Español_______________________

¡Este fin de semana fuimos a acampar! Era más o menos una hora antes de salir que decidimos ir. Ibamos a ir nada más para la tarde y regresar en la noche, pero Ale sugerió quedarnos por la noche y yo le sorporendí por decir que sí.

Yo empaqué las bolsas para Danilo y yo, pero casi se me olvidó un montón de cosas... Por ejemplo la cama. Mi almohada. El cepillo de dientes. ¡Las cosas más importantes! Por dicha, Ale recordó todo. ¡Yo habría estado en problemas!

Toby (el perro) y Danilo estaban bien calientitos por la noche. Pero Ale y yo teníamos mucho frío. ¡Brrrrr! Pero bueno, sobrevivimos. ;)

En la mañana, disfrutamos café costarricense (¡que rico!) a la par de la fogata. Toby pasó mucho tiempo en el riachuelo. Yo chinié cuidé a Danilo. ;) Ale quebraba madera, cocinaba, cuidó a Toby, y cuidó a Danilo también. O sea, ¿qué no hizo Ale?

¡En ruta a la casa vimos una carreta! ¡Que risa!

¿Qué hicieron ustedes este fin de semana?

2 comments:

The Wallace Clan said...

Sounds like a blast!

Mrs. Valente said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! Although I'm not sure our trip would be quite as restful!;)

Glad you guys are enjoying the last of the summer!