Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

April 14, 2010

A Recap of Job - Part 1

We're reading through the Bible in a year... together!
We'd love for you to join us! Find out all the information by just clicking here:

184x184 biblia sidebar button

A week or so ago - back when we were in Job - one of you mentioned you were having a bit of trouble following what was going on with Job and his buddies  criticizing friends criticizers.  I have to admit...  their monologues are so long that I too had trouble keeping up.  I decided to let myself fall behind a couple of days and take the time to go back and summarize each chapter.  It's really helped me get it.  Below is what I have come up with so far. 

So bear with me  for a few days as I work to catch up with you all...  We should actually be back in Genesis, reading chapters 19 - 21. 

Now that we're a good 18 days into this, I'm sure God's been starting to share with you from the scriptures in Genesis and Job.  Would you share?  Thanks to Kristen, Cilla, Courtney and JD for linking up with us!  Ya'll have no idea how much of an encouragement it is to me when you do so! 

Here's a recap of the first half of Job:
numbered by chapter

Oh, I almost forgot!  I'm reading the New Living Translation.  I love that we're all reading different translations so we're probably getting different takes on it - all the more reason to share!!  :) 

1. There once was a man named Job... He was rich in all aspects - financially, spiritually, family, he had it all. He was blameless—a man of complete integrity. The heavenly court was meeting and Satan said, “Dude! Job is only blameless cuz he's got it all!” God said, “fine. Test him. But don't harm him physically.” In one day, Satan wiped out everything Job had. But Job never sinned by blaming God.
2. Back in the heavenly court, Satan said, “Job is only sinless because you haven’t touched his body.” God said, “fine. Test him. But spare his life.” Satan made Job REALLY sick. Job’s three friends showed up to encourage him.
3. Job stayed silent for a long time. Then finally, he spoke: “I wish I’d never been born.“
4. Eliphaz said, “I the past, you used to be the one encouraging others. Have hope in your life of integrity. I had a vision – no one is without sin…”
5. “…Go to God and ask Him what you’ve done wrong. He disciplines and heals those he loves.”
6. Job : “I spoke impulsively because he I’m really suffering. You have given me no help. Show me what I’ve done wrong and I’ll admit it. I’m all ears! You’ve got nothin’! I’ve done nothing wrong!...”
7. “…I’m sufferin’ here. I’ve gotta’ complain! I can’t handle this! God if I’ve sinned, what have I done?”
8. Bildad spoke: “How long will you rant and rave? Your children must’ve done something wrong, then. Ask forgiveness and surely He’ll restore you. Our wisdom is nothing compared to God’s, so seek his forgiveness. The Godless will be rejected by Him, but if you have integrity, he will receive you and restore you. “
9. Job spoke: “Ok, true story, in principle. He is the almighty. And who am I to question Him? But even though I’m innocent, simply by going to God, I declare myself guilty. God is not mortal so I can’t go to Him and question Him…”
10. “…I’m disgusted with my life and I just want to complain. God, why do you reject me? You know I’m not guilty, but you are the only one who can save me. Why? Why? Why!?!”
11. Zophar spoke: “You aren’t innocent just because you keep saying so. Repent and be forgiven!”
12. Job spoke: “You people really know everything don’t you!? (He gets sarcastic.) Easy for you to say all this. You’re not the one who’s sick! Older, experienced men have wisdom, but the true wisdom is God’s. We’re all fools compared to Him…”
13. “…None of you know anymore than I do. I’ll take up my case with God himself. You all smear me with lies and you are poor drs to help me with my physical condition. May God do with me what he will. Lord, answer me. Why are you doing this?...”
14. “…Our lives are short. Must mine be miserable? Let me die again. You could wipe away my sin and make me well…”
15. Eliphaz spoke: “You are full of a bunch of useless words. If you were wise, like you say, you’d be quiet. You contradict yourself.” He talks about characteristics of lives of wicked people.
16. Job spoke: “I have heard this all before and it’s not helping! I need encouragement, not criticism!” Goes on and on about how plight.
17. Job goes on about his plight and how he’s lost hope.
18. Bildad spoke: “How long do we have to listen to this? Do you think we are stupid?” Talks about the wise vs. the wicked.
19. Job spoke: “How long do I have to listen you all? Even if I have sinned, that’s my concern, not yours. You think you’re better than I am. God has demolished me and my family has forgotten me. My friends hate me and you all are just persecuting me more. And yet, I know that my Redeemer lives and he will stand upon the earth at last. After my body dies, I will see God! How dare you persecute me! You will be punished for it.
20. Zophar spoke: “We have endured your insults and my spirit (lower case) prompts me to reply. The triumph of the wicked is short-lived. It’s fun at first, but it doesn’t last. They are punished before long.”
21. Job spoke: “If nothing else, will you listen to what I am saying? Then you can keep mocking me. My complaint is with God, not evil people. Look at me and be shocked. People and animals all around me are blessed and yet my family has been wiped out before me. I know you’ll tell me that those wicked rich people eventually are punished. But I see them prosper! All your explanations are lies!”
22. Eliphaz spoke: “It’s to now benefit to God for you to be blameless. So you may as well see and admit that you are guilty. You must have done something!” He goes on about what that sin could possibly be, as if he’s trying to help him think of what it is.



P.S.  Don't forget about our YouVerson Group.  See what verses others have tagged and bookmarked!  Love it!! 


MckLinky guidelines to keep remember:
-Please provide the url for the Mi Querida Biblia post specifically, not your blog home page. That way it's easy to find.
-Make sure to grab the Mi Querida Biblia button to put somewhere in your post.
-Please only link posts that are related to the Mi Querida Bibla scripture reading.