Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

April 27, 2010

Nap Time. And Faith Like a Child.

Children live every moment to the fullest. Have you ever noticed that? I think that's why they are so endearing to watch. There is a mesmerizing presence about them as they spend each minute fully present to their current activity, leaving all their cares and concerns for when they present themselves.

When Danny plays he focuses the entirety of his being on the ball he's rolling. He's completely delighted when he can make it bounce across the floor and when it's out of reach, nothing could stop him from the work needed to stretch out and get it. When he's eating, you'd think he were enjoying an award winning 5 star meal, instead of his mashed bananas and pureed spagetti. When his Papa picks him up, he is utterly delighted and envelops himself in his Daddy's strong arms. A hug is the only thing on his mind. And when it's time to sleep, he sleeps in total relaxation, with no worries about anything else. His body is totally limp and he rests peacefully.


I wish I were more like that. When I am playing, my mind is often on the work that is left undone. When I'm working, I get distracted by what we'll eat for dinner. When I'm with my husband, it's often a struggle not to concern myself with the family finances or my job as Mama. And when I try to sleep, all these other things are on my mind, keeping me from resting peacefully.

Granted I am an adult, with much more responsibility than my almost ten-month-old son. But somehow I have a feeling that Jesus lived with the same fully-present-to-the-moment concentration and passion that children do. I bet he was fascinating to watch for that reason. Maybe that's what he meant by, "Have faith like a child."

To a certain extent, systems and organization and planning help us to be present to the moment, for they help us to get things done and off of our mind. But I think mostly, living in a way that's fully present to the moment is a matter of intentionality and choice. And prayer. Mostly prayer.

Lord, teach me this child-like faith. Help me to give my cares and worries to you and to trust you for my every need. Thank you for the most incredible blessing of my son, who helps me to know you so much better. Give him sweet dreams as he rests. Amen.