Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

July 14, 2011

Sushi and a Blow Torch

We love sushi at our house.  

But really, what food do we not love at our house??  I blame the Pioneer Woman.  Or the promise of a banquet in heaven.  Or genes.  Or whatever.  I just really love all kinds of wonderful food.  

Plus sushi is just all kinds of wonderful.  


Aren't they pretty?  We make our sushi at home.  Because if I go to a sushi place, I end up eating nothing but bombs of sugar wrapped in seaweed.  And certain bloggers who've been out to eat sushi with me do NOT need to elaborate on that point, right?  Right.

Where was I?

Oh yes, rolling sushi at home.  We like to get creative with what we put in it.  This is this past Spring.  This one has rice, crab meat, avocado, cheddar cheese and carrots.


Danny, of course, wanted to roll sushi too, so we let him practice with a tortilla.


He used all the same ingredients.


Just with a tortilla instead of seaweed paper.


Oh and I think we let him put crushed tortilla chips in, just to spice it up.  He often forgot the ingredients go in the roll first and then into the mouth.


I forget that too sometimes.  


While Danny enjoyed his sushi funky-tasting burrito, Alejandro decided to get creative.  You know how the sushi restaurants have sushi with sugar crystallized on the outside of the sushi roll?  Well, at least all the ones I order do.  Well, we wanted to do that with our homemade sushi.  What would crystallize sugar?  Heat!  So Alejandro coated his sushi with diluted soy sauce and rolled it in sugar...


and then...


...he blow torched it.  


Of course, then I had to try.  



Want our sushi recipe?  Just click here.