Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

July 8, 2011

A Colorado Birthday Party

Two weeks ago, we had a second birthday party for my son...  this one thrown by yours truly and my husband.  We were up until 2 a.m. making the cake.  Because, people, there is no other way to do it.  At least for the Porras Family that is.  I've resigned myself to the fact that forever and always, plane trips and birthday parties will inevitably mean a 2 a.m. sigh of relief and the declaration that, "We're ready!"  

Anyway...  behold, in all its baked glory and splendor... the cake.  (The cake, mind you.  Not the photos.  I mean, what kind of photographic work were you expecting at 2 a.m. anyway?)


It was two sheets of scrumptiously delicious cherry chocolate cake.  After last year, I was determined that the inside be tasty no matter what the outside looked like.  But the outside turned out pretty well too, if I do say so myself.  Alejandro and I had a blast decorating it!  Let's take a tour, shall we?  


Round the corner for the first turn.


A little off-roading to get across to the other side


Don't miss the car that crashed.  That was Alejandro's inspiration.


And finally around to the finish line!


I did get pictures of the cake the next day in better light...


...but not before Danny stuck his finger in the icing while I had my back turned for 0.075 seconds.  

I did come up with the cake idea myself... although I'm certainly not the first to do something similar.  I also made the banner of construction paper.  Danny's been playing with it in our living room ever since, which makes it oh-so-much better.


Danny was sportin' his 2-year-old t-shirt.


I wish I could say I cleverly planned this, but no.  
I just noticed it tonight as I was editing pictures!


This bundle of cuteness crawled all over the pavement and made all 
of our knees hurt in sympathy pain.  But he didn't seem to mind!


Here's proof that I was actually at the party.  


This cute family was there...  more on them coming up soon.  
They are excellent campers.


Our buddies the Franks were there.


This little lady is the most photogenic gal I've ever met.  Here she is last year too.


There were many other friends there, young and old, and we are so blessed everyone could come!


"Might I have this dance, darling?"
Dresses like that are why I want a girl next.  Just kidding.  Sort of.

Soon it was time to sing...


...and blow out candles...


...and eat cake!  Danny didn't hesitate to dive right in.


Each kiddo got to take home a hot-wheel.  
They were all calling dibs on them as soon as they arrived.  
That was so much fun!


Last were presents, which I did not get any good shots of, except for the last one. Alejandro and I were more excited about this than Danny was, although his enthusiasm is growing by the day. 


My sweet peanut's feet barely reach, but he has figured out how to push himself Fred Flintstone Style and he knows how to steer now!  

Happy Number Two Birthday, kiddo!