Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

February 16, 2011

I Live in a Hole

It's a self-induced hole.

We don't pay for TV. I don't listen to secular radio. I don't listen to the news... seriously. If something major like a tsunami happens, I hear about it through the grapevine. (And I always hear about it.) I usually change the radio station if advertisements come on that sound particularly full of the world.

That's usually all of them.

The other day my sister referred to a Justin Bieber movie and I didn't even know who that was.

I won't even read the particularly negative people on Facebook. That "hide" feature is handy.

Why the living-in-a-hole routine? Well, because just as what does up must come down, what goes in is bound to come out. If I'm reading, watching, listening to, and taking in the world, that's what's going to come out of my mouth. I have no desire to become so accustomed to the commercialized sex, the pervading materialism, and all else found in today's media, that it doesn't affect me.

I WANT it to affect me. I want it to seem crass if it is. I want a red flag to go off in my mind when the TV car salesman tells me I can't live without the next new Jeep model. I want to feel awkward when a barely dressed lingerie model flashes across the screen on a commercial break. If it doesn't feel out of place, I've become too comfortable. I'm called to be IN this world, not OF it.

That includes negativity. I just don't need the doom-and-gloom. It does not serve me nor my God-given purpose.

I don't think that this concept of guarding against media mental infiltration is new to most of you.  Actually, I share these thoughts because two days ago this thought process was challenged.

I have a family member who is a high ranking officer in the military and who is privy to a lot of information that the American public is kept from knowing. Not that he was sharing any information he shouldn't, but he DID call our attention to the direction that our current Presidential Administration is taking our nation and the danger that presents. I'll save my political opinions for another post. That's not my purpose right now.

This conversation challenged me because, while I still hold to the opinion that we ought to carefully filter what goes in, this presents a serious problem: I am completely unaware of what is happening politically in our world, and therefore, incapable of being an active participant and voice on any political scene, and THAT IS NOT OKAY WITH ME.

When I wrote this post earlier this month, in which I referenced people who don't even know the names of our House of Representatives, well, I was preaching to myself.

How does one filter what goes in, with regards to negativity, worldliness, and liberal politically skewed news reports, but at the same time remain informed and involved?  I'm aware that there are certain websites and newscasters that present a more balanced view of the political facts.  I'm also aware of the fact that it will take sacrifice and time to become informed and involved.  I'm certain I don't have all the answers yet, but I do know that it's important, and it's an issue I'm exploring and if you have any insight, I'm all ears.

Living Big - a life theme of mine - is not just about living big in the areas I like or am comfortable in. It means reaching into ALL areas of life and doing what is not always easy, comfortable or convenient.

Thanks for reading and commenting tonight.  More on this to come...

No comments: