Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

June 1, 2010

Proud Mama Daughter

I absolutely love it when someone stretches themself to reach for a dream or a goal that God has laid on their heart.  It's probably the teacher in me.

These last several months I've had the privilege of walking alongside my Mom in a journey as she envisioned, developed, planned, strategized and finally birthed a dream that God planted in her heart.  My Mom is a retired high school teacher.  Her strongest subject is math, but she taught everything, including how to perservere, how to believe in oneself, how to think and how to learn.  She and her partner ran a high school tutoring program for at-risk students in the inner city of San Diego for decades.  It successfully helped countless students avoid failure and drop-out.  I can't even count the number of times I've heard of a student whose academic career was turned around because of my Mom and her partner's elective tutoring class.

When her program was eliminated due to budget cuts, Morse High School lost one of the best things it had going for it.  When she retired, my Mom searched for a way to re-birth this program by starting her own non-profit organization.

I have absolutely LOVED watching her get excited, formulate ideas and ways to get around obstacles, step out of her comfort zone to approach parents, teachers, school adminstrators, and district officials.  She even when door to door!  I almost fell off my chair when she told me she had done that!

It's been a small start, but I am so proud to introduce to you...

...and the lady who got it started...


I encourage you to check out twowaystreettutoring.org. It's called TwoWayStreet because, as my Mom says, "Abundant living is a two-way street. You give, you receive. You serve, you are served. Both are important. Two Way Street offers academic support to teens, and encourages teens to give service to their community."

Isn't that COOL?!

Do you know a teenager in the San Diego area?  Do you know a parent of a teenager in the San Diego area?  Do you know anyone in the San Diego area?  Please let them know about TwoWayStreet.  And please keep them in your prayers.  The program will, of course, only work with the involvement of students. They are re-launching in the fall and hope to draw many students in.

Thanks, Mom, for the example you set for me.  Thanks for teaching me that I can if I try.  Thanks, on behalf of all the students who never said "thanks" to you.  I know this is just the beginning of a really great thing!