Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

March 12, 2011

Eleven

When my son comes to me for help, I often sneak in a kiss, and if he'll linger long enough I usually steal a hug and give him a good tickle too.

A while back I read a post by Sarah over at kingdomtwindom.com about how many kids get no more than eleven seconds of eye contact with their parents each day. Ever since then, occasionally I will grab Danny's cheeks, pull his face in two inches from mine, stare deeply into his twinkling eyes and count to eleven. Inevitably by the time I get to 5, he's giggling, and I rarely get to 9 without a knot in my throat. I love that boy so much it hurts. Counting to eleven at our house has come to mean, {I love you higher than the heavens, deeper than the oceans, and more than life itself}.

There are LOTS of times when Danny and I are together. Indeed, most days we are together 24/7. But we're both pretty busy little bodies, always occupied by something. It's easy to spend a whole morning occupied with his activities and mine without ever really spending quality time just loving on each other. Then he'll come interrupt the all important thing I was doing (not) and ask for help putting on a shoe or taking apart Lego pieces and I'll realize that right at that moment I REALLY needed to give him a good squeeze.

I do that with my Lord WAY too often. I go about my daily business, taking for granted that He's by my side and forgetting to look fully into His face. Then I need help putting myself together or taking apart something I'm stuck on and He so graciously helps me. Then He pulls me close to steal a kiss, to hold me for a moment, and to get me laughing with a good tickle.

In that moment I realize I've forgotten that He wants so much more than to just be by my side. He wants to be "all up in my business." He wants to talk about every decision. He wants to help me make a mess and clean it up. He wants to stare into my face and count to eleven, or as high as it takes to get us both laughing or crying or both.

Lord, help me to remember today that the most important moments are the ones just counting to eleven.



____________________Español____________________

 Once

Cuando mi hijo me busca para ayuda, frequentamente le robo un besito y si se queda por más tiempo antes de ir a jugar, le doy un ataque de cosquillas y abrazos también.

Hace mucho tiempo leí que muchos niños en los Estados Unidos no están cara a cara con los padres por más que 11 segundos al día.  Desde que leí eso, en muchas ocasiones tomo la oportunidad a tomar la carita de Danilo, acercar la naríz de él hasta 2 pulgadas de la mía, le miro en los ojos y cuento a once.  Inevitablemente, al contar hasta 5 él se está riendo y al llegar a 9 yo tengo lagrimas en mis ojos.  Amo a ese niño tanto que me duele.  Contar hasta once en mi casa ha llegado a significar {Te amo más alto que el cielo, más profundo que el océano y más que mi propia vida}.

Hay MUCHAS veces cuando Danilo y yo estamos juntos.  De hecho, la mayoría de los días estamos juntos 24 horas al día.  Pero los dos estamos siempre muy ocupaditos, siempre haciendo algo.  Es fácil pasar una mañana entera ocupados con actividades de él y las mías sin de verdad pasar tiempo juntos de calidad simplemente amándonos.  Entonces, él viene y me pide ayuda para ponerle el zapato o a separar dos Legos y me doy cuenta que DE VERDAD necesito darle un abrazóte en ese momento.

Yo hago lo mismo con el Señor DEMASIADO frequentamente.  Voy haciendo mis cosas, olvidando que Él está a mi lado, olvidando a buscarle a Él plenamente en el rostro.  Entonces necesito ayuda para arreglar una situación o a despegarme de algún problema y Él me ayuda con todo su gracia y misericórdia. Después el Señor me roba un beso, y sostiene en los regazos por un momento y me hace reír como un ataque de cosquillas.

En ese momento, me hace recordar que el Señor queire mucho más que estar solamente a mi lado.  Él quiere estar en medio de mi negocio.  Quiere hablar conmigo de cada decisión.  Quiere ayudarme a hacer desorden y limpiarlo.  Quiere mirarme en la cara y contar hasta once, o hasta cualquier número para hacernos a los dos reir or llorar o las dos cosas.

Señor, ayúdame a recordar hoy que los momentos más importantes de todo, son los en que simplemente contamos hasta once.

No comments: