Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

September 23, 2011

We met on aisle 4

As I came around the head-high display of Doritos and rounded the corner, there in front of me was the most pregnant and most beautifully glowing woman I'd ever seen.  (She will argue about the beautiful part, but this is my post, not hers, so there).  There was obviously more than one baby inside that tummy with the protruding belly button, and despite all knowledge of social norms, I walked right up to her and said dumbly, "I know you're probably getting sick of this, but is it twins?"

She graciously smiled at me, nodding yes.  She was indeed, getting sick of it.

"Aw!" was all I could say, with the hugest smile on my face.

Then her husband - who was somehow glowing with pride more than she was - leaned in, put his hand on her tummy, and said, "This is our second set.  The first set is at home Grandma."

And then I had to scoop my jaw up off the floor.

I'm sure I said something really eloquent, like, "Are you serious!?!"  We chatted for a little bit and then one of the twins kicked her, and I marveled because I hadn't actually seen a kick protrude from a pregnant belly before.  I'm pretty sure I did manage to keep from asking to feel the baby move, but just barely.

In the check-out line, Kingdom Mama and Papa Bear ended up behind me and so the conversation continued.  After several more socially unacceptable personal questions like, "When are you due?" and "Do you have any help at home?" I learned that she was actually still more than a month from her due date and no, she did not have any help at home, since her husband worked all day.  Then I had to turn back around, because it was my turn to pay for my groceries, but my wheels were already turning.

In the parking lot outside, I finished putting my groceries in the trunk, and noticed that the lovely couple who had more babies in two and a half years than anyone else I knew, were loading up their groceries too.  I closed the trunk and headed over to where they were.

"Ok, don't think I'm weird, but...  after the babies are born, could my husband and I bring you guys dinner?"

She promptly replied, "don't think I'm weird, but...  YES!!!"  We all had a hearty laugh.

The best part? Kingdom Mama then said, "That's totally something a New Lifer would do.  Do you go to New Life Church?"

"Actually, yes we do!" I said.  You know you go to a rockin' church when that's the reputation it has around town.

We exchanged phone numbers and several weeks later, called them up and brought them lasagna.  I held Bay Bit and Alejandro held Lil' Prince and we both just marveled at how tiny they were.  Tiny Dancer and Cuddle Bug climbed all over us.  At one point, all four of us had a baby in our arms at one time.  Ha!

We've been friends ever since.  We've slept on the floor of their mountain home.  They've played in our living room.  She got me blogging. We've prayed together, cried together, and held each other accountable.  We've been pregnant together.


She even photographed my son's birth.  I love that the Valentes are so very transparent and genuine in their faith, their friendship and their fallibility.  They make you feel like you're at home, no matter where you are and what you're doing.

Who would have thought such a great friendship could be born in the junk food aisle?  God did, apparently.

I love you, Sarah!