Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

July 15, 2009

The restoration of a belly button... and a house with no paper towels

The most common question I've gotten recently is, "How are you doing?....  and how is the baby doing?"  Well, we truly are doing great!  We're monumentally little on the sleep deprived end of the scale, but really, we're doing wonderfully!


I have completely recovered from the birth, and Danilo is eating like a champ...  which is much less painful now.  He's figured out how to latch on and I've toughened up, so nursing is going very well.  I'm amazed at how quickly this is returning to its normal shape and size! 


It's certainly not all the way there yet, but it is well on its way.  I was trying to calculate...  exactly how many calories must one burn in a day to lose 10 lbs in a week?  Based on how tired I am even after 10 hours of sleep (albeit in 2.5 hour increments), it's a lot!  And Danilo's belly button made its debut yesterday too!  His umbilucal cord stub came off (hoorah!) and his cute little belly button showed itself.  Now, is that not the cutest thing you've ever seen in your life?! 


Life around here is settling down.  I had two phenemonal weeks with my Mom... she was absolutely fabulous.  It was such a blessing to have her!  She was so supportive, really great at taking care of me so I could take care of Danilo, enjoyed "Grammy time" when I needed a break, and was so sensitive to know when to go make a phone call or read a book in the other room when Alejandro and I needed a moment...  Anyway, after two truly phenomenal weeks with my Mom, she headed back to San Diego yesterday.  But not before we enjoyed lasagna dinner and delicous desert with her and Shaun (my Mom's fiance) on Monday night.  Even though we did have to send Shaun to the grocery store half-way through cooking dinner... and even though upon sitting down to eat we discovered that there were NO napkins or paper towels (or even tissue) anywhere to be found in our house!  Shaun ran out to the car and grabbed the stash of McD's napkins shoved in the glove compartment of the car!   



Yesterday Danny and I had our first day on our own... and our first outting by ourselves!  First I wrestled with the car seat.  I ended up sweaty enough to need another shower, but I won.  Then we headed to the hospital for the nursing support class and weigh-in and Danilo's PKU test (in which they pricked his poor little heel for the bazillionth time).  He weighs 6 lbs 10 oz!  Go little man!  And then we went to Walmart to pick up a few necesary items and this extremely cute outfit for Danny and Dad


...and I forgot to get paper towels and napkins again!  I even walked an extra lap around Walmart thinking, "I know there was something else we needed!"  Oh well... 

Oh, and one last thing!  Danilo turned two weeks old yesterday!  We imprinted his hands and feet in plaster before they grow any more to celebrate.  Picture this:  Alejandro, Renee, a container of plaster, and a newborn.  Plaster was everywhere!  I wish I'd had a camera.  Oh well...  Danny survived and even escaped having any of his body parts permanently encased in plaster! 

I hope you all are having a wonderful week!

Love,