Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

July 6, 2009

Danilo's Birth

 A few months ago I wrote what no one told me about pregnancy and what everyone told me but I didn't entirely believe.   After 7 whole days of mommy-hood now...  here are my top two: 

What everyone told me but I couldn't have fathomed how true it really is:  This is the hardest thing you'll ever do in your life. 

What no one could've possibly told me in earthly language:  How utterly and completely I would instantly fall hopelessly in love with my most precious little boy. 

Here is the story of his debut into this world just 7 days ago:

Well it really started Sunday night, when we went to Walmart and I was having contractions - what is it about Walmart that makes me have contractions anyway?  Though I thought they were probably just more false alarms, Sunday night I went to bed and when Alejandro and I prayed together, I asked the Lord for these please to be the real thing, and to give me patience with His Perfect Timing (come back for more about this later). 

Monday morning, I woke up and the contractions had gotten harder and stayed consistent.  I layed there in bed, thinking, "should I cancel my Mary Kay appointment today?  or should I go?"  Well, it's a very good thing that I decided to cancel it, because by 9:30 a.m. I was using relaxation breathing for each contraction.  I could still talk through them, but I could tell they were the real thing.  So I called my photographer (she's responsible for all of the amazing pictures below, by the way) who's also my good friend.  At 10 a.m. I called the hospital and the nurses encouraged me to come in, even if they might send me home.  So I called Alejandro and said I thought he should come home.  At that moment, I was still able to be sweet and calm to him.   But not for long!  By 10:30, I called Alejandro again and said, "I JUST NEED YOU TO GET HOME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE."  He made it across town in record time. 

When Alejandro got home, the routine was like this:  Alejandro takes the fastest shower of his life.  Alejandro coaches Renee through a contraction.  Alejandro puts his clothes on.  Alejandro coaches Renee through a contraction.  Alejandro grabs 3 things to put in the suitcase.  Alejandro coaches Renee through a contraction.  Alejandro puts those three things in the suitcase and grabs three more things.  Alejandro coaches Renee through a contraction.  Alejandro makes two sandwiches.  Alejandro coaches Renee through a contraction.  Alejandro...  You get the idea.  At 11:30 a.m. (I think) we made it to the hospital and went to triage.   (This is where they decide if you're in enough pain to be admitted to the hospital.)  Apparently, I was NOT.  Because I spent the next several hours in triage. 


I was only 1 cm dilated at that point - but my contractions were very intense, although the nurse (bless her wonderful heart) was not going to send me home.  Danilo was facing head down (good) but with his back against my spine (bad).  The "back labor" was excruciating.  But we did what we could without being able to admit me.  We started with some breathing techniques.  They kind of worked... but I was already pretty tired.  It was about 1 or 2 p.m.  I decided to accept a temporary pain medication that would allow me to sleep some and rest for more intense labor later on.  After about an hour of "rest" (because Alejandro still had to massage my back and I had to breathe controlled through each contraction, which were still about 3-4 minutes apart).  Then we headed for the tub. 


At about 4 p.m. I was still only 3-4 centimeters, but I was completely spent.  The nurse encouraged me that I should be very proud for making it that far without pain medication, but she warned me that when my water broke the contractions would be twice as hard.  In addition, I was fighting each contraction, which hindered the productivity of each one in getting me to the goal:  10 cm.  I decided (with a mix of disapointment and relief) to take an epidural.  I was then admitted, and we headed down the hall. 


...with some pauses and some difficulty...

 

After that, things got MUCH EASIER, and MUCH MORE FUN!  At 6 p.m. the epidural had set in and I had made it to 7 cm.  The waiting game began. 



By 8 p.m. I had gotten pretty hungry, having not eaten anything since I arrived at the hospital before noon, so when the nurses stepped out, a little rebellion took place...  My pregnancy craving for chocolate chip granola bars hit its peak!


We waited some more and I rested some more.  I was between 7 and 8 centimeters then. 


At long last by midnight I was at 10 cm and it was time to push!   ...the fun part! 


No really... it really was fun!  I pushed for about an hour...  quite a challenge when you have no control over your body from the waist down! Finally the moment arrived when the little guy's head came out.  The cord was wrapped around his neck, but the doctor expertly cut it and slipped out his shoulders and body.  The moment I'd waited for had arrived, and I was absolutely elated.  It was so surreal and amazing.  I just remember holding his head in one hand and a foot in the other and thinking they were so tiny! 


Danilo was quickly whisked over to the nurse's table across the room, where I could watch and listen, and they got him breathing and cleaned him up. 


Proud Papa looked on and thanked our Lord, as the emotions finally hit him all at once. 




Danny makes this face ALL the time! 

 


Alejandro kept going back and forth between me and Danilo, until he was cleaned up...

...and ready to properly say hello.


It was unspeakably amazing to finally hold him in my arms.  Alejandro brought him to me and I looked into his tiny face and it was so new, and yet seemed so known.  So familiar.  As if I'd always known him.  I wanted to take in every detail and memorize his face. 

 

Father in heaven, how humbled we are to be graced with such a gift. 


Danilo Chinchilla Porras  (picture by Matt Frank)
One day old.