Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

August 29, 2011

Jumpy

A week ago, my husband came home from work with a box.  


"It was injured," he said.


"¡Pájaro!" exclaimed my son.


"Oh..." I said.  

"I'm going to rehabilitate it," Alejandro said.  

He really meant me, because he would be working each day all day.  


Fortunately, rehabilitating a wild bird requires nothing more than leaving it alone in a box with plenty of food and water and keeping the dog and child from loving him to death or eating him.  


"By the way, his name is Jumpy," my husband sent me in a text message the next day.

"We are not keeping him," I thought out loud in the kitchen as Danny watched him from the kitchen stool through plexiglass.

Fortunately, wild birds won't be kept.  And actually, within a few days, he was flitting his way around our living room when we had him out one day. It was clear, he was soon ready to fly.


Jumpy, you've been a great week-long pet.


Except, of course, when you're pooping on my floor. 


Or in my hand.


And now, my friend, as much as a certain little boy would love to let you stay,


it's time you go back home.  (Danny's waving hello. He looked, but was not too eager to touch.)


Fly away, little Jumpy! And have a good life!


The end.



____________________Español____________________
  Salto

Hace una semana, mi esposo llegó a la casa con una caja.    



"Está herido," me dijo.


"¡Pájaro!" exclamó mi hijo.


"Ah..." le dije.  

"Voy a rehabilitarlo," dijo Alejandro.  

En realidad, intentó decir que yo lo iba a rehabilitarlo, como mi esposo trabaja todo el día cada día.  


Afortunadamente, rehabilitar un pájaro no requiere nada más que dejarlo en paz en la caja con bastante agua y comida y no dejar que el niño ni el perro lo mate.  


"Se llama Salto," me dijo mi esposo en un mesaje texto el próximo día.

"El pájaro no se queda," pensé en voz alta en la cocina mientras Danilo lo observaba de su lugar en el banco.

Afortunadamente, pájaros salvajes no quieren ser mascotas.  De hecho, dentro de unos 2 o 3 días, estaba volando alrededor nuestra sala un día cuando lo dejamos afuera de la caja.  Era claro que pronto estaría listo para volar afuera.


Salto, has sido un lindo mascota de tiempo corto. 


Excepto cuando dejó orines en el suelo.


Y en mi mano.


Y ahora, mi amiguito, aunque hay un chiquito que te dejaría quedarte por siempre, 


es momento que regresas a tu hogar.  
(Danilo está saludando.  Quería ver pero no le interesaba tocar el pájaro.)


¡Vuele, pequeño Salto! ¡Y que pase una buena vida!


El fin.